In a sunny little cottage by the sea sleep a tiny baby boy & his mommy. I slip in around 8 and try not to wake them as I turn the door's lock with my key.
Turns out they were both kind of awake anyways, but I thought I'd be nice. :)
For those of you who didn't know, I am now a "tia" or aunt! Well, sorta. As much of an aunt you can be without being related to someone by blood.
Meaning I was around while he was being baked in the oven of him mom's guts and I am changing a few diapers, carrying him around on my shoulder and making sure he's happy while his parents get a few moments of reprieve.
Little Baby Jack was born on April 18th, so he's still pretty new to these parts, but he's already figuring out some crucial things:
- Boobs make food. Make sure there are always boobs around.
- Pooping is hard to do. Make sure you give it your all as many times as you can.
- Bouncing is awesome. Make sure to make people bounce you as much as humanly possible.
- Gas is super lame. Make sure to get rid of gas in as many funny ways as possible for maximum crowd shocking effect.
- I am adorable. Make sure to use that to my advantage.
Needless to say, I've already picked up a few tricks of my own in the few precious times I've been able to hang out with Baby Jack and his lovely mum, Katy.
|Artificial Heart II felt brooch - by hanaletters - $50 USD|
- You are growing at a ridiculous rate right now. Even if I started making your acorn cap that I promised your mum, it wouldn't fit you in a week!
- Sometimes you're just gonna cry cos you feel like it. If you ever feel like toning it down so that your mum can relax for a bit, that'd be a tremendous bonus.
- You totally don't even know how loved you are by everybody yet. One day you will and you'll start smiling on purpose!
- You got your dimples from ME! ...possibly thru osmosis.
I feel really lucky to be able to be a part of Katy, Kevin & Jack's lives right now. I've never been this close to a newborn or helped a kid grow from all stages of life, so this will definitely be weird. But I guess so long as we keep Baby Jack & his family fed & watered, everything will turn out all right. :)
Something else I learned from hanging out with Katy & Baby Jack is that if you feel like doing something awesome, do it! So one day when I felt poopy, I decided to do something awesome to make my friend feel better. Today I drew a gnome farting & framed it to celebrate Katy's birthday. A few weeks ago, I made a grumpy raincloud pee on everyone in shot of my friend's rearview mirror.
|Mr. Pissed Off Cloud aka Mr. Tinkles - spur of the moment rear view mirror decoration|
Custom awesomeness made for iCKY the Great
I will leave you in the knowledge that sometimes you just got make awesomeness: whether it's a whole baby that you made in your guts for many months, or a few random works of radness that you're excited about. Chances are that if you're excited about it (even if it occasionally frustrates you), it's totally worth doing.
Thanks for teaching me that, Baby Jack. ;)